Schools

Home       NEW Updates   About the Group          Heritage Sites          Committee          Contact Us       Terms/Conditions

 

PLEASE WAIT AS THESE FILES CONTAIN MANY IMAGES AND WILL TAKE A WHILE TO LOAD

CANNING MILLS SCHOOL  HISTORY   UPDATED AUGUST 2017

Research by Gordon Freegard

The very first school in the district was started at Canning Sawmills in 1891, setup and provided by the Canning Jarrah Timber Company for the children of its workers. Later it used the Methodist Church building on the south east corner of Canning Road and Canning Mills Road, that was rented out to the Education Department. After the mill closed the school continued until diminishing numbers finally caused it close in 1930.

When the mill closed many of the workers started orchards on the land that had been cleared of the heavy timber by the mill. As the orchards got established a more central position was needed for a school so a site was established near the front gate of Illawarra Orchard in 1913. Miss Maggie Ferguson was the first teacher at this Karragullen School with 12 children attending. Mr. Price deliberately advertised and employed a family at Illawarra Orchard that had a large family of children to help boost the numbers for the school.

Because development went more towards to south-east, it was decided that in 1919 to move the Karragullen School to what is now Brookton Highway near the "Rock Inne". The loft at Hanbury's two storey barn was initially used while the school building was moved. As numbers increased a second schoolroom was added in 1952.

In the next few years a need for another school at Canning Mills was recommended as the numbers of children of families near the old Saw Mill site, had increased enough to justify it. In early 1936 the Under-Secretary for Lands received a request from the Director of Education, Mr. J. A. Klein, for an area of land at Canning Mills be set aside for the purpose of a school site, The Lands Department agreed to grant a site at Canning Mills in Perth water supply reserve No. 1774. The new schoolroom was erect across the road from the Methodist Church school, which had now been demolished, on the south west corner of the junction of Canning Road and Canning Mills Road. Mr. Bert Forrest was appointed the first teacher for the new Canning Mills School. The school building was late in completion so a large room at Mrs. McKay's house, which was the old mill managers house, was used temporary. This Canning Mills School continued until 1956 when it finally closed. In the meanwhile it was decided to transfer the Karragullen School into a more central position by moving it right into the townsite itself, where it remained until it finally closed in 1999 due to falling numbers and most of the children transferred to Pickering Brook Primary School.

 

 

1891
First School opened.
                   Teacher   Mrs.E. Grundy
 (from 1st October)

Enrolled were 19 boys and 11 girls.
 

Below is an article sent in by a correspondent to "THE WEST AUSTRALIAN"  and published on WEDNESDAY 29th JULY 1891

The last rail of Mr. E. Keane's Canning line of railway running up to Messers L. White & Co.'s timber mills was laid on Saturday 25th July, and immediately afterwards two trucks were loaded with timber and depatched to Guildford. This line, including the zigzag, measure 19 miles, and is now completed except a short distance requiring ballasting. It is however available for trains. It has been constructed with that rigidity consistent with good workmanship characteristic of everything Mr. Keane takes in hand, only eleven months having been occupied in the work. Messers. White & Co.'s mill is very busy executing the orders entrusted to them, which are both numerous and likely to extend over a considerable time, amongst them being orders for the Midland Railway, and a huge order from the South Australian Government. At the present time they have 70,000 sleepers ready for despatch, besides other timber, and the 70 hands at the mill are consequently kept busily employed. In fact, in order to overtake the work, it will be necessary to put on more hands. A want much felt at the station is a school. There are between thirty and forty children there, and it is to be hoped , that in order to provide them with schooling, the Central Board of Education will see their way to accepting the liberal offer which has been made by Mr. White. He has offered to erect not only a school, but also a four-roomed cottage for the teacher, if the Government will provide the latter and also the school furniture. Another want is a mail delivering. Indeed, if it could be found possible to establish a post office there, and appoint some person to discharge the duties of postmaster and schoolteacher combined, it would I think, cover the requirements. I need hardly say that such an appointment would be no new thing, as there are instances at the present time of one person holding two such appointments.

1892
                    Teacher    Mrs. E. Grundy

 

1893
                     Teacher   Mrs. E. Grundy           (till 11th April)
                     Teacher   Mr. J. B. H. Hewitt    
 (April - December)

Enrolled were 22 boys and 18 girls.

 

1894
                     Teacher          Mr. D. O. Edawrd           Appointed 20th January    Resigned February
                     Temp.Teacher  Mr. Aaron Harvey          Appointed in February
                     Teacher          Mr. Thomas Aitken    
    Appointed October
Enrolled were 29 boys and 22 girls

 

1895
                     Temp. Teacher   Mr. Arron Harvey       (Transferred to Northam Public School in December 1895)
                     Teacher            Mr. Thomas Aitken     (Resigned from the Service 1st April 1895)

                     Teacher            Mr. Henry Harms         Appointed in March
                     Monitor             Ethel McLarty            Appointed 17th June

Enrolled were 33 boys and 19 girls.

 

1896
                    Teacher             Leonard J. W. Butler
                    Sewing Mistress   Mrs. Sara Harms        Appointed 22nd May

Below is part of an article published in the "WEST AUSTRALIAN" on Friday 13th November 1896. It is about the Annual Synod of the Wesleyan Methodist Church and deals with the building of the Methodist Church building at Canning Mills which was opened by Rev. G. E. Rowe on Sunday 16th August 1896.  This building was  later hired by the Education Department to use as the school.

The Chairman stated that the Canning Jarrah Timber Company had given free of cost the whole of the jarrah timber for the new church which has been erected on the mills. The generosity of the company was appreciated by the synod.

 

 

 TEACHER LEONARD J. BUTLER

1897
                   Teacher      Leonard J. W. Butler
                   Monitor       William Ralph Dewar        Appointed 20th November

 

1898
                   Teacher       Leonard J. W. Butler
                   Teacher       Henry Harms                 Salary 125 Pounds

 

1899
                    Teacher               Leonard J. W. Butler       
                    Teacher               Henry Harms                 Salary 125 Pounds  
                    Assistant Teacher  Flora Heine                   Salary  80 Pounds

Medals for Complete Attendance were awarded to:
Francis J. Purser, Emma Purser and Maud Dewar

Children known to have attended:  MAUD DEWAR, EMMA PURSER, FRANCIS PURSER

 

1900
                      Teacher              Leonard J. W. Butler      Transferred to Bridgetown April 1900
                      Teacher              Adolph Schneider          Salary 140 pounds + 15 pounds
                      Teacher              Edward Kishaw             Appointed 24th July
                      Monitor               Alice Howe                  Appointed 13th November Salary 110 pounds + 10 pounds
                      Sewing Mistress   Agnes Schneider           Salary 52 pounds

 

1901
                      Teacher                  Adolph Schneider       Salary 140 pounds + 15 pounds

                      Teacher (Relieving)   Hugh Young              September  Salary 180 pounds + 15 pounds
                      Teacher                  Carrington F. Cooper   (September)
                      Monitor on Probation  Alice Mary Houghton   (October)

In the Subscription List for the presentation to Duke and Dichess of York, the 31 children at Canning Mills gave seven shillings and eight pence.

1902
                      Teacher                   Hugh Young              Salary 180 pounds + 15 pounds  
                      Monitor on Probation  Alice Mary Houghton   Salary 25 pounds

 

1903
                      Teacher                   Hugh Young              Salary 180 pounds + 15 pounds  
                      Monitor on Probation  Alice Mary Houghton   Salary 20 pounds

 

1904
                      Teacher                   Richard C. G. Brown    Salary 160 pounds + 15 pounds                 
                      Junior Monitor           Bertha Houghton         Salary 20 pounds

 

1905
                       Teacher                 R. C. G. Brown
                       Teacher                 John Winter               Salary 180 pounds + 12 pounds

 

1906
J                     Teacher                  John Winter

 

1907
                     Teacher                   Frank Crooke


 

1908
                     Teacher                   Frank Crooke
                     Monitor                   Frederick Charles Albrecht     (March - November)

 

1909
                     Teacher                   Frank Crooke

 

1910
 
                    Teacher                   Frank Crooke
                     Teacher
                  Edward Walsh

 

1911

 Children known to have attended:  LILY WITTON, HANZ WINTER

1912

 

1913

 

1914
 
                    Teacher                   Letley             
                     Teacher                   Miss O'Flaherty
                     Teacher                   William White   

 

1914?

  CANNING MILLS SCHOOOL GROUP
 MISS ANNIE O'FLAHERTY TEACHER  #1

 

1915
                     Teacher         Miss Annie O'Flaherty
                     Teacher         William White

 

1916
                     Teacher         Miss Annie O'Flaherty    
                     Teacher              Beatrice Hanbury           Salary 130 pounds + 12 pounds

 

1917
 
                    Teacher          Miss Annie O'Flaherty    Salary 110 pounds + 12 pounds


DAVID ABBOTT, EDNA ABBOTT, ALBY SAUNDERS, BILL SAUNDERS, JOE NICHOLLS, HILDA NICHOLLS, DORIS DAVIES, ALICE DAVIES, JACK SMAILES, MARJORIE SMAILES, LORNA SMAILES, FRED WIZEMAN, FRANK WIZEMAN.   (Reference: David Abbott 1988}  

1918
 
                    Teacher          Miss Annie O'Flaherty    Salary 120 pounds + 12 pounds

 

1919
 
                    Teacher          Miss Ida Armstrong        Salary 130 pounds + 12 pounds
                     Teacher          Miss Betharis

 

1920
The schoolroom was actually the Methodist Church, which had been used when the mill was operating and later rented out to the Education Department as a school. It was well built of dressed jarrah timber and consisted of the main room, some 30feet by 20feet with a small porch and entrance at the southern end and a room about 10 or 12feet by 20feet with a side door at the northern end.

The side walls had a number of tall windows in them. The desks held four or five pupils in a row. The desk top sloped slightly and had a low ledge to stop pencils rolling off. The set was attached to the cast iron framework and had no back to it. No blackboards were attached to the walls, so the teacher had to make do with blackboards on easels. A few charts and pictures could be hung between the windows and there was a large cupboard or two for storage of pads, chalk, pencils etc. Winter heating came from an old time pot-bellied cast iron stove standing on a large sheet of flat iron tacked to the wooden floor. Water was reticulated to some wash basins in the porch and there were two "little houses" to the south. The pans from these were cleared once weekly by a contractor, who also serviced the Inn and the houses. A small garden was fenced off along the eastern wall of the school and for playground, the children were free to go anywhere about the immediate vicinity. The was no definite playground and it was hard to find a level patch as the land thereabout sloped down to the railway line and beyond it to the creek.  Article written by Teacher Mr. A. J. Chate

                     Teacher          Miss Ida Armstrong        Salary 144 pounds + 12 pounds
                     Teacher          Mr. A. J. Chate
22 Children

 

1921
 
                    Teacher          Mr. Robert Elliott           Salary 207 pounds

 

1922
 
                    Teacher          Laura Betheras             Salary 180 pounds

 

1923

                     Teacher          Laura Betheras             Salary 180 pounds

 

1924

                     Teacher          Laura Betheras             Salary 180 pounds

 

1925

                     Teacher          Laura Betheras             Salary 180 pounds

 

1926

                     Teacher          Laura Betheras             Salary 180 pounds
                     Teacher          Mary Prendergast

 

1927
 
                    Teacher          Mary Prendergast         Salary 180 pounds

 

1928
 
                    Teacher          Laura Betheras             Salary 180 pounds

 Children known to have attended:  VIOLET SHARPE

 

1929
 
                    Teacher          Laura Betheras             Salary 180 pounds

 

1930
 
                    Teacher          Laura Betheras             Salary 180 pounds

Due to falling numbers the school was finally closed down on 28th February.

 

1931   CLOSED

 

1932   CLOSED

 

1933    

                      School re-opened 10th July.

 

1934
 
                    Teacher          Lilian Roberts                 Salary 221 pounds 17 shillings

Children known to have attended:  WALLY SHARPE

 

1935
 
                    Teacher          Lilian Roberts                 Salary 221 pounds 17 shillings

The Hills Inter-school Sports were held at Walliston on November 22nd, with Barton's Mill, Canning Mills, Carmel, Pickering Brook and Maida Vale Schools competing for the R. S. Sampson Centenary Shield. It was Won by Barton's Mill, with 162 points, Maida Vale being the runners-up and winning the "J. Watson Cup" with 104 points. The champion athlete of the day was Frank Gibbs, of Barton's Mill, who gained 50 points for his school.

Children known to have attended:  WALLY SHARPE

 

1936
As there was no school building Mrs. McKay who lived in the former Mill Managers House, offered the Department the use of a rather large room on the north west corner of her house as a temporary school room. Her house was at the north end of Canning Mills where there was a small grove of pine trees north west of the siding.

A new School room was built on the south-west corner of the junction of Canning Road and Canning Mills Road. The school building consisted of a schoolroom with a verandah on the north side. Besides the verandah and parallel to it, was an access ramp, running from the downhill side up to the far end of the verandah. The school ground sloped and there was a fall of about a metre from one end of the school to the other.

                     Teacher          Mr. Bert Forrest            

 Children known to have attended:  WALLY SHARPE

 

Mr. BERT FORREST

1937
                     Teacher          Mr. Bert Forrest

 

1938
 
                    Teacher          Mr. Bert Forrest

Children known to have attended:  BARBARA SLEIGHT LYNN SLEIGHT, SYLVIA SLEIGHT

 

1939
 
                    Teacher            Mr. Bert Forrest           Salary 329 pounds
                     Sewing Mistress  Phyllis Sleight             Salary 20 pounds

                                      1939

Back Row:    WALLY SHARPE, ROY BOVANI,
                        MAITLAND HANBURY, STAN URSICH,
                        JACK URSICH, PHILLIP SLEIGHT.

Middle Row:  BARBARA SLEIGHT,                      SLEIGHT,
                        LYNN SLEIGHT,  ANGELINA URSICH,
                        ANNE URSICH.

Front Row:    SILIO DIMARCO, BLAGZ URSICH,
                         REGIE URSICH, LUCY SHARPE,
                                     SLEIGHT.

Sitting:          BILLY SLEIGHT, BERT URSICH

                                            #2

 

1940
 
                    Teacher            Mr. Bert Forrest           Salary 329 pounds
                     Teacher            Lilian Morison

 

1941
 
                    Teacher            Mr. Bert Forrest           Salary 329 pounds
                     Sewing Mistress  Phyllis Sleight             Salary 20 pounds

 

1942
 
                    Teacher            Mr. Bert Forrest           Salary 329 pounds
                     Teacher            Lilian Morison
 
                    Teacher            Mrs. Parker
                     Sewing Mistress Phyllis Sleight

 

1943
                    Teacher            Mr. Bert Forrest           Salary 329 pounds + 63 pounds
                    Teacher            Mrs. Parker
                    Teacher            Elizabeth Kenworthy

 

1944

 

1945
                    Teacher            Gordon Croxton            Salary 416 pounds + 71 pounds

 

1946
                    Teacher            Gordon Croxton            Salary 445 pounds

 

1947

 

1948

 

1949

 

1949    

Back Row (L-R):  ARTHUR LITTLEY, DAVID LITTLEY, VILMA TONUSSO,  VIANNA BOVANI, ELSA TONUSSO, CEASER PERPOLI, BRUNO POLETTI.
 Front Row (L-R):   ANNETTE LANTZKE, ESDRA TONUSSO, VICTOR NICOLI,  HUGH LANTZKE

                                                                                                                                                                                              (Photo used with permission of the City of Armadale Birtwistle Local Studies Library)

 

1950

 

1951

 

1952

 

1953

 

1953       

Back Row L - R:   JOE NICHOLLS, MICHAEL NICHOLLS, BRUNO POLLETTI, MALCOLM LITTLELY, ARTHUR LITTLELY.
 Middle Row  L - R:  HUGH LANTZKE, ROSS LANTZKE, FAYE HUGHES, KEN HUGHES, TERRY HUGHES.
 Front Row  L - R:  MARIO POLLETTI, ANNETTE LANTZKE, ESDRA TONUSSO, ANGELINA FRIGO, ANTONIO FRIGO.    #4

 

 

MALCOLM LITTLELY    #5

 

1954
 
                    Teacher            Mr. Cable

 

1955

 

1956

 

 

 

 

Articles:           A. J. Chate
                      Bert Forrest
                      Pickering Brook Heritage Group
                     Additional Teacher Appointment & Salary Info    Helen Skehan

Images:          1   Tom Price
                      2      Silio DiMarco
                      4, 5       Malcolm Littlely

 

Copyright : Pickering Brook Heritage Group Inc.  2008 - 2017