Registered Sites

Home       NEW Updates   About the Group          Heritage Sites          Committee          Contact Us       Terms/Conditions

 

HERITAGE GRAVES  

HERITAGE SITES  

 

 

 

HERITAGE GRAVES   

 

The heartbreak of the death of one or more of their young children was experienced by many pioneer families. Because of the lack of medical back-up, terrible living conditions, and limited knowledge, many babies died very young. A lot were buried in bush graves, quite often near the family home, and sometimes marked with wooden headboards. Unfortunately over the years these headboard have either deteriorated or rotted away leaving very little evidence of where these graves were. Few records have survived and from these we have compiled a list of such graves within our immediate area, that we have information about.

 

GIBBS Daisy

Died 30th June 1893 aged 2 days at Lot 8, 550 Canning Road, Carmel. Daughter of Annie (nee Burton) and Arthur Lacey Gibbs. She died of convulsions.

 

GIBBS May

Died 7th April 1894 aged 2 hours at Lot 8, 550 Canning Mills, Carmel. Daughter of Annie (nee Burton) and Arthur Lacey Gibbs. The informant was Susan Gibbs, cousin, Canning.

One Sunday night early in March 1894 a fire burnt their home. Arthur had just engaged a new gardener, Francis Bortelsmeier, who demanded entry to the house, when the family had retired for the evening, as he had a chill. Mr Gibbs would not allow him in, whereupon he became very agitated and aggressive, which alarmed the family, as there was a loaded shotgun in the shed where Bortelsmeier slept. Thinking they were about to be killed, Gibbs

GRAVE SITE FOR THE THREE GIBBS CHILDREN .  PHOTO FEBRUARY 2010   #1

and his wife (who was pregnant with baby May) and children hurried for help to their neighbours, the Mottrams, who unfortunately were not home. They then proceeded to the Wallis home where they took shelter. On returning to their home in the morning, they found Bortelsmeier sitting, wrapped in a blanket, beside the remains of their house, which he had burnt to the ground. Bortelsmeier was charged and committed to an asylum.

 GIBBS Amelia

Died 10th April 1895 aged 1 day. Buried with her sisters between two fig trees (which have been cut down) at Lot 8, 550 Canning Road, Carmel. The property is now the Carmel Rose Farm (2010). The informant was Edward Gibbs, Canning.

The daughter of Annie (nee Burton) and Arthur Lacey Gibbs. Arthur died 2nd February 1898 aged 30 years. The other children of Annie and Arthur Gibbs were three daughters – Violet, Myrtle and Arthurina. After Arthur died, Annie became the Cannington postmistress, a position she held for many years. She later became the Kellerberrin postmistress and is buried in the Kellerberrin cemetery.

 

BROWN Lucy

Died 9th February 1914 aged 6 days at Barton’s Mill, Pickering Brook. Buried at Barton’s Mill by Robert Maitland. Daughter of Emily Clara (nee Dart) and John Joseph Brown (teamster)

The informant was R. Maitland, friend, Barton’s Mill.

 

BROWN (unnamed baby)

Few details known. Daughter of Emily Clara (nee Dart) and John Joseph Brown (teamster). Buried at either Canning Mill or Barton’s Mil.

 

CORRIE (Baby)

Died 9th January 1912 aged 12 days at Heidelberg (later named Carmel). Buried at Heidelberg by H. R. Martin, Elder of the Seventh Day Adventist Church. Witnesses present at the funeral were J. Simcock and N. M. Simcock. The baby daughter of Ada (nee Wright) and Walter Ernest Corrie (mill employee).

 

FRENCH (Stillborn baby)

Died 20th August 1908 at Pickering Brook. Buried at Pickering Brook by his father in witness of Annie Sullivan. The son of Margaret (nee Gately) and Claude Tasman French (orchardist).

 

FRENCH (Stillborn Baby)

Died 24th October 1911 at Pickering Brook. Buried at Pickering Brook by her father. Witnesses present at the burial were F. Lindley and L. Humphreys.

 

 

GIBLETT Emma

Died 4th May 1909 aged 17 years at the Darling Range School, Heidelberg. Buried at the Darling Range School, Heidelberg (now Carmel) by H. Blunden and H. Piper (Seventh Day Adventist). Witnesses present at the burial were H. Smith and George Wise. Death certified in writing by H. Blunden, friend, Heidelberg.

A student, who died of typhoid  fever and heart trouble. She was born 9th February 1892 at Balbarrup – daughter of Lilly (nee Clarke) ad Jesse Giblett (farmer).

Emma and her sister Ruth, together with other students, attended a family gathering at Subiaco in the later part of March 1909. This was where it was suspected that she contacted the typhoid fever. Emma took sick on April 7th 1909, followed shortly afterwards by a number of the students and Harry Martin, the principal. It was a serious crisis, which warranted urgent calls for medical help. Emma, diagnosed with typhoid fever, fought valiantly to keep up her work schedule of work and study but eventually was confined to bed, with Ruth giving special care. Consequently, on May 1st, Ruth also became ill. The parents were notified and Mother Giblett began the long journey to be with her daughters. Horse-drawn conveyance took her to Bridgetown, where she caught the train to the city. She was met by Arthur Mountain at Kelmscott and driven to the College by horse and gig, the route taken via rough bush tracks, On arriving at midnight, she was given the sad news that her beloved Emma has passed away just hours earlier.

EMMA GIBLETT   #2

EMMA GIBLETT'S GRAVE HEADSTONE  #3  

 

KING (Stillborn baby)

Died 4th October 1911 at Heidelberg. Buried at Heidelberg (now Carmel) by his father. Witnesses present at the burial were Mary Ellen and Thomas H  Barrett. The baby son of Ellen Louisa (nee Styants) and Herbert King (wood Contractor).

 

McCASKILL (Baby)

Died 26th August 1903. Buried in the bush off Canning  Mills Road, Karragullen. Son of Emma (nee Austead) and Roderick McCaskell (labourer). Death occurred during labour, owing to delay in delivery from want of medical assistance.

This grave is heritage listed.

McCASKILL'S GRAVE. 
PHOTO APRIL 2008   #4

 

NEWBOLD (Stillborn baby)

Died 17th March 1918. Buried at Darling Range School, Carmel by R. H. Canstandt. Death certified in writing by G. T. Newbold, father, Darling Range School, Carmel. Born in Carmel – the son of Myrtle Havergal (nee Shearer) and George Teasdale Newbold (teacher).

 

PEEL Adelaide Frances

Died 10th March 1882 aged about 36 hours at Canning Saw Mills. The prematurely born (uncertified) baby daughter of Robert Peel.

WESTON Francis

Died 19th January 1876 aged 2 days at Mason’s Mill.Carmel. Born 17th January 1876 son of Mary and Richard Weston (wheelwright and carpenter).

This grave was officially listed on the Register of Heritage Places by the Heritage Council Of Western Australia in 2009. It was recognised as the last remaining timber headboard in the Perth Metropolitan area and a rare surviving example of a custom bush burial. It has been maintained by the Weston family.

TWO DAY OLD BABY FRANCIS WESTON'S GRAVE IN ITS ORIGINAL STATE   #5

 

 

 References:      Articles:        Lonely Graves of Western Australia by Bray
                                          More Lonely Graves of Western Australia by Yvonne and Kevin Coate
                                          Glimpes of Carmel Adventist College 1907-2007

                       Photos:         1,  4  Gordon Freegard
                                          5  Marilyn Weston
                                          2  Glimpes of Carmel Adventist College 1907-2007
                                          3  Kalamunda & Districts Historical Society

 

 

Copyright : Pickering Brook Heritage Group 2008-2016

 

HERITAGE SITES

 

These sites are a combination of those listed with the Heritage Council of Western Australia, The Shire of Kalamunda and The Pickering Brook Heritage Group for protection. They all are significant to the history of Pickering Brook.

 

ARASI’S VINEYARD & ORCHARD (10507)

       672 Pickering Brook Road

Listed on the Municipal  Inventory  21st July 1997.
Photo record to be kept.

Constructed in 1958. Manufacturing Winery

Historic Theme: Industrial Manufacturing.

Present Use: Winery

ARASI PROPERTY    #1

 

 

ASHENDON ROAD  (10350)

Ashendon Road, Pickering Brook

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997
Historic Site recognised

Constructed in 1920

Historic Theme:  Transport and Communications

Present Use: Roadway

 

 

 

BARTON'S MILL PRISON (3580)

       Barton's Mill, Pickering Brook

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997.
High level of protection.

The place comprises a prison compound, workshops, administration and visitor facilities and a range of staff houses located on the site of a former timber mill constructed in 1902 - since demolished. The prison compound within the former security fencing comprises a fairly loose arrangement of timber and brick buildings including residential buildings (cell huts), recreational structures and workshops, administration and visitor facilities. Staff housing is located to the west outside the prison compound and on the northern side of the entry road into the prison. Orchards are located between the prison and the staff housing. Water dams and a sewerage treatment plant are located south of the prison compound in the natural bush. Operated from 1942 to 1986

Historic Theme: Timber Industry/ Law & Order

Present Use: Park Reserve

 

NOW DESERTED BARTON'S MILL PRISON   #2

 

 

BLUE MOON COOL STORES (10528)

       Repatriation Road

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997.
Retain and conserve if possible.

Built by A. Giumelli in 1950, on Lot 7.

Historic Theme: Technological change

Present Use: Vacant

 

 

 

 

BLUE MOON COOL STORES. 
PHOTO APRIL 2008   #3

 

 

BOCCE PITCH (10508)

       Near McCorkill Road

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997.
Historic site recognised.

Built by Dom Marchetti in 1939.

Historic Theme: Social & Civic Activities

Present Use: Industrial Manufacturing

BOCCE PITCH .
PHOTO APRIL 2008   #4

 

CANNING MILLS – site (10360)

       Canning Mills Road

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997.
Historic site recognised.

Commenced operations in 1889.

Historic Theme: Timber Industry

Present Use: Other

OLD CANNING MILLS SITE NOW VACANT   #5

 

 

CARILLA BUS DEPOT AND GARAGE

Pickering Brook Road

Listed by Pickering Brook Heritage Group

Historic site recognised

Operated

Historic Theme:  Transport

Present Use:  Now owned by Malcolm "Mac" Beard and the street frontage has been restored to original condition (2010).

 

CARILLA BUS DEPOT GARAGE
 PHOTO MARCH 2010   #34

 

 

 

 

CARILLA NURSING SISTERS POST

Pickering Brook Road (Opposite School)

Listed by Pickering Brook Heritage Group

Historic site recognised

Operated

Historic Theme: Family

Present Use:  Vacant Land

 

EXAMPLE OF RECORD CARD FROM A NURSING SISTERS POST  #35

 

CARILLA HALL (fmr) – site (10505)

       251 Pickering Brook Road

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997.
Historic site recognised.

Built in 1925 on Reserve  No.18809

Historic Theme: Social & Civic Activities

Present Use: Vacant Land

 

 

CARILLA HALL PRIOR TO REMOVAL IN 1985     #6

 

CARINYAH FORESTRY SETTLEMENT

        Carinyah Road

Listed by the Pickering Brook Heritage Group

Historic Site recognised

Historic Theme: Forestry Industry

Present Use:  National Park

 

 

 

 

COBBLED STONE ROADWAY

        Canning Mills Road

Listed by The Pickering Brook Heritage Group
Historic Site Recognised

Historic Theme:  Transport/Communication - Road

Present Use: Transport/Communication - Road

COBBLED ROADWAY. CANNING MILLS ROAD, KARRAGULLEN.
PHOTO APRIL 2008   #8

 

 

EARLY IMMIGRANT’S DWELLING (fmr) (10405)

       12 Forrest Road

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997.
Significent – Photo record to be kept.

Home of Jack & Dora Pollese 1920 – 1940.

Historic Theme: Outside Influences - refugees

Present Use: Residence

JACK & DORA POLLESE DWELLING. 
PHOTO APRIL 2008  #9

 

 

GIANT JARRAH TREE

 

Listed by Pickering Brook Heritage Group

Significent Site Recognised

This tree was ringbarked in the 1930's but continued to grow. It has a 30ft girth and the first branch forked at 40-45ft from the ground. Estimated 20 to 25 loads. Its massive height can be estimated by comparing it with surrounding trees of normal size. Unfortunately recent forest fires have now killed this tree but it still stands proud although somewhat burnt and blackened.

Historic Theme:  Timber Industry

Present Use:  Reserve

GIANT JARRAH TREE     #10

 

 

GIBB CHILDREN'S GRAVE  (10372)

550 Canning Road,  Carmel

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997

Lot 8

Constructed 1893, 1894, 1895

GIBBS DAISY   Died 30th June 1893 aged 2 days
GIBBS MAY      Died   7th April 1894 aged 2 hours
GIBBS AMELIA Died 10th April 1895 aged 1 day

Children of ANNIE (nee Burton) and ARTHUR LACEY GIBBS

Grave site believed to be between two big fig trees whiich
are no longer there.

Historic Theme:  Outside Influences

Present Use:  Carmel Rose Nursery

 

 

GRAVE SITE FOR THE THREE GIBBS CHILDREN .  PHOTO FEBRUARY 2010   #32

 

 

HAWKIN'S HOME  

99 Pickering Brook Road

Listed by the Pickering Brook Heritage Group

Significent Site recognised

Built in 1913

Timber face-cut slab construction
Built by Harry Hawkins

 

 

 

HAWKINS HOUSE BUILT 1913.    PHOTO FEBRUARY 2010    #33

HOLROYD’S HOME (fmr) (10448)

       45 Holroyd Road

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997.
Retain and conserve if possible

Built in 1922 on Lot 101.

Historic Theme: Domestic Activities

Present Use: Residence

GEORGE & ERNIE HOLROYD'S HOUSE 1997.     #11

 

 

IRISH STRAWBERRY TREE

        Pickering Brook Road

Listed by the Pickering Brook Heritage Group.
Significent Site

Planted in c1890 by Tommy Roads

Historic Theme: Domestic

Present Use: Parkland

100 YEAR OLD IRISH STRAWBERRY TREE PLANTED BY TOMMY ROADS.
PHOTO APRIL 2008    #12

 

 

LOCAL TELEPHONE EXCHANGE (fmr) (10506)

       265 Pickering Brook Road

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997.
Significent – Photo record to be kept.

Built by Ted Davey on Lot 3.

Historic Theme: Telecommunications

Present Use: Residence

FRONT ROOM CONTAINED THE OLD TELEPHONE EXCHANGE AND SCHOOL TUCKSHOP. 
PHOTO APRIL 2008   #13

 

 

 

 

 

MASON'S MILL   (10487)

50 Masonmill Road, Carmel

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997

Built in 1864 by Benjamin Mason on Lot 918'

Historic Theme: Forestry Timber Mill

Present Use:  Vacant unused

 

 

 

 

 

MASON and BIRD TIMBER TRAMWAY BRIDGE (02662)

Hardinge Road, Canning Mills

Listed as permanent by the National Trust 12th June 1989
Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997

Significent Site recognised

Built in 1870 by Mason & Bird

Historic Theme: Transport & Communications

Present Use: Reserve

 

MASON and BIRD TIMBER TRAMWAY BRIDGE    #38

 

 

MARCHETTI’S HOME (fmr) (10526)

       25 Repatriation Road

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997.
Significent – Photo record to be kept.

Built by Dom Marchetti on Lot 620 in 1926

Historic Theme: Immigration/ Refugee

Present Use: Residence

DOM MARCHETTI'S HOME   #14

 

 

 

McCASKILL GRAVE (10361)

       1050 Canning Mills Road

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997. Recommended RHP

McCASKILL (Baby) Died 26th August 1903.

Son of EMMA (nee AUSTEAD) and RODERICK McCASKILL (labourer)

1903 on State Reserve F22. Timber headstone surrounded by a timber picket fence. A timber post and rail fence has been erected around the grave in an attempt to stop further disturbance of the site.

Historic Theme: Monument/Cemetery

Present Use: Monument/Cemetery

 

 

McCASKILL'S GRAVE. 
PHOTO APRIL 2008   #15

MUNDAY’S BROOK DIVERSION CHANNEL (10376)

       Canning Road

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997. Recommended RHP

The place was not inspected as part of the review process. The following information comes from the MI data sheet. The place appears to comprise a small dam area off Canning Road and a collecting channel with earthen, rock and concrete walls approximately 1 metre deep running from   Mundays Brook to the Victoria Reservoir (fmr). Constructed in 1897.

Historic Theme: Governmental Reservoir or Dam

Present Use: Governmental Reservoir or Dam

 

MUNDAY'S BROOK DIVERSION CHANNEL   #16

 

 

NEAVE’S HOME- Site of  (10569)

       51 Woodbine Road

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997.
Historic Site - Recognised

Built in 1920 on Lot 846.

Historic Theme: Demographic Settlement

Present Use: Residence

 

LES NEAVE'S HOUSE    #17

 

 

OLD GUM TREE (10443)

       Hewison Road

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997.
Historic Site - Recognised

Site of the Clubrooms of Pickering Brook Sports. Large gum tree on edge of No.2 fairway of Pickering Brook Golf Course

Historic Theme: Social & Civic Activities - Sport

Present Use: Golf Course

 

OLD GUM TREE UNDER WHICH FIRST SPORTS CLUB MEETINGS WERE HELD.
PHOTO APRIL 2008  #18

 

 

OUR LADY OF GRACE CATHOLIC CHURCH & NUN’S HOUSE (10488)

       14 Merrivale Road

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997.
Retain and Conserve if possible

Built in 1955 by Architect/Builder Stan Costello on reserve 26123

Historic Theme: Social & Civic Activities - Religion

Present Use: Religious Church

 

OUR LADY OF GRACE CATHOLIC CHURCH & NUN'S HOUSE.
PHOTO APRIL 2008    #19

 

 

 

 

OWEN'S PROPERTY  (10373)

Rosedale, Shinglewood Flat
700 Canning Road, Carmel

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997
Recognised site

Established in 1890 on Lot 1163, Loc 75, 295, 264, 935 & 639

Historic Theme: Rural industry & market gardening

Present Use: Farming/ Pastoral

 

 

 

PICKERING BROOK GENERAL STORE – Site (10504)

       5 Pickering Brook Road

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997.
Historic Site - Recognised

Built in 1903 on lot 537.

Historic Theme: Commercial Retail Store

Present Use: Vacant

 

ORIGINAL PICKERING BROOK POST OFFICE AND STORE NOW VACANT  LAND   #20

 

 

PICKERING BROOK JUNCTION

       Pickering brook Road

Listed by Pickering Brook Heritage Group
Historic Site - Recognised

Opened 1st July 1903

Historic Theme: Timber Industry

Present Use: Vacant

 

 

PICKERING BROOK JUNCTION    #21

 

 

PICKERING BROOK SAWMILL (10377)

       34 Carinyah Road

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997.
Retain and Conserve if possible

Taken over in 1960 by Sydney Ashmore.

Historic Theme: Forestry Timber Mill

Present Use: Forestry Timber Mill

 

PICKERING BROOK SAWMILL.
PHOTO APRIL 2008   #22

 

 

 

RHODODENDRON TREE

      Holroyd Road

Listed by the Pickering Heritage Group

Significent Site

Planted by  ????????

Historic Theme: Domestic

Present Use: Residence

 

 

 

 

SALIGARI’S PADDOCKS (10352)

       Barton's Mill Road

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997.
Historic Site - Recognised

Also known as Mosgiel. Constructed in 1900 on Lots 458/349/710/487/556

Historic Theme: Rural Industry and Market Gardening

Present Use: Government Reservoir/dam

 

 

 

SMAILES' MILL

       Ashendon Road

Listed by the Pickering Brook Heritage Group

Historic Site - Recognised

 

Historic Theme:  Forestry Timber Mill

Present Use:  National Park

 

SMAILES' MILL   #25

 

 

SMAILES & WESTONS MILL

        Pickering Brook Road

Historic Site recognised

 

Historic Theme: Forestry Timber Mill

Present Use: Vacant Land

 

SMAILES & WESTON'S MILL AT PICKERING BROOK JUNCTION       #26

 

 

 

SOLDIER SETTLER’S HOME (fmr) – EDDY’S (10406)

       70 Forrest Road

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997.
Significent – photo record

Also known as Braeside. Built during Soldiers Settlement Scheme. Constructed in 1919 on part Canning Loc 773.

Historic Theme: Demographic Settlement

Present Use: Residential

 

 

 

SOLDIER SETTLER’S HOME (fmr) – FERNIE (10527)

       230 Repatriation Road

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997.
Significent – photo record

Built in 1922  during Soldiers Settlement Scheme on lot 4.

Historic Theme: Demographic Settlement

Present Use: Residential

 

FERNIES SOLDIERS SETTLERS HOME.
PHOTO APRIL 2008   #28

 

 

 

TEMBY’S HOME (fmr) (10407)

       30 Foti Road

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997.
Retain and Conserve if possible

Built in 1927 on Lot 6.

Historic Theme: Rural Industry and Market Gardening

Present Use: Residential

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

VICTORIA RESERVOIR  (03510)

Masonmill Road, Carmel

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997

Constructed in 1891

Historic Theme: Social & Civic Activities

Present Use: Water Supply

 

REMAINS OF THE ORIGINAL VICTORIA DAM SAVED     #37

 

 

WESTON'S GRAVE (10486)   

20 Masonmill Road, Carmel

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997.
Officially Heritage Listed
by the Heritage Council of Western Australia 2009

Constructed 1876

WESTON FRANCIS Died 19th January 1876 aged 2 days

Son of MARY and RICHARD WESTON (wheelwright and carpenter)

Historic Theme: Recognised as the last remaining timber headboard in the Perth Metropolitan Area and a rare surviving example of a custom of a custom bush burial.

Description: A small earth grave for an infant, with a timber headboard carved from local jarrah, a surrounding picket fence also constructed of local jarrah, and a second timber fence with horizontal railings. Situated in the Darling Ranges.

Present Use: Monument Cementery/Grave.

 

TWO DAY OLD BABY FRANCIS WESTON'S GRAVE IN ITS ORIGINAL STATE   #36

WESTONS ROAD (10560)

        Westons Road

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997.
Historic Site - Recognised

Constructed in 1920

Historic Theme: Transport/Communication - Road

Present Use: Transport/Communication - Road

 

OLD TRANSPORT  ROAD - WESTONS  ROAD.
PHOTO APRIL 2008   #30

 

 

WORKER’S HUT (10490)

        185 Merrivale Road

Listed on the Municipal Inventory 21st July 1997
Recommended RHP

Alec Niven possible builder in 1947, on Lot 282. Two workers' huts, some bush land and a clearing where corrugated iron and rubble is located on the ground. Both huts are approx. 2m x 3m, with a single door frame and one window each. Hut No.1 is of stone and corrugated iron, No.2 is of bricks and corrugated iron. Hut No.1 has a small chimney at the opposite end to the door.

Historic Theme: Demographic Settlement - Immigration

Present Use: Vacant - unused

 

WORKERS HUT   #31

 

 

References:       Article:       Heritage Council of Western Australia
                                        Pickering Brook Heritage Group


                       Images:     1, 11, 17, 35, 36  Pickering Brook Heritage Group 
                                        2, 31   Hertage Council of Western Australia

                                        3, 4, 8, 9, 12, 13, 15, 18, 19, 22, 28, 30 , 32, 33, 34  Gordon Freegard
                                        5  Unknown                                        
                                        6, 10, 21, 26   Kalamunda Library
                                        14, 16, 20 ,38   Kalamunda & Districts Historical Society

                                        37    Water Corperation
                                        25    Ted Smailes

 

 

 

 

 

Copyright: Pickering Brook Heritage Group Inc.  2008 - 2017